The Kitschies, proudly sponsored by Blackwell’s, celebrate progressive, intelligent and entertaining books that contain elements of the speculative or fantastic. All submissions should keep these criteria in mind.
Any queries should be sent to email@example.com.
Please read the details below carefully and contact us before submitting your book(s) for the addresses and shipping details.
There is no submission fee for The Kitschies. Please note the following:
- The Kitschies prefer digital submissions (ebooks). You may send us physical books but it’s easier on all our judges to have ebooks. Please be prepared to send us several physical copies for the ceremony if you are shortlisted, however.
- Although there is no limit on the number of titles that can be submitted from each publisher or author, we do ask that publishers not send us their entire catalogue.
- Please select your books that deserve to be recognised as progressive, intelligent, and entertaining.
- Please send us books throughout the year, rather than in one almighty paper floodin late November (the judges will have more time for your books to grow on them).
- Please send us the books that you loved, that you weren’t sure how to sell, that you were surprised by, that you had to convince your sales & marketing department for, and that you took a risk on.
- Please note that the closing date for submissions is 1st If you can’t get books to us before then, you can let us know ahead of time.
The closing date for The Kitschies is 2359 (GMT), 1 December 2019.There are no exceptions. For books published between 2ndDecember and 31st December, 2019, we are happy to accept advance or proof copies, or to receive them after the deadline by prior arrangement.
Thank you very much for your support.
Red Tentacle and Golden Tentacle (Novel and Debut)
Only novels first published in the UK between 1 January and 31 December 2019 are eligible for the Red Tentacle. eBook-only submissions are eligible, as long as they were first published in this calendar year.
To qualify as a debut, the submission must be the author’s first novel in anygenre and under anyname. The author may have previously published short stories, non-fiction, screenplays and collections. Novellas would normally not count unless the author has previously submitted a novella to The Kitschies.
The Kitschies require either seven physical copies or one DRM-free ebook copy for judging.
The Kitschies are requesting ebook submissions for novels and paper submissions only for cover art.DRM-free eBook submissions can be sent to to: firstname.lastname@example.orgWe solemnly promise not to distribute them to anyone other than the judges. .epub and/or .mobi strongly preferred: reading a PDF on an e-reader is awful.
Why do we need DRM-free ebooks?
We promise not to share your ebooks outside of the judging circle, but everyone has different platforms and not everyone gets along with a whole host of different platforms. Make it easy on us, please.
Please mark all packages FAO: THE KITSCHIES.
Inky Tentacle (Cover Art)
Inky Tentacle submissions must be editions published in the UK between 1 January and 31 December 2019.
Unlike the other categories, anthologies, collections and novellas are eligible for the Inky Tentacle, as are reprints and paperback editions, as long as the cover is new for the edition submitted.
Please note, unlike previous years, Red and Golden submissions will no longer be included automatically in the Inky category in 2019.
All submissions for the Inky Tentacle must include the name or names of the artists and designers involved.
The Kitschies require two physical copies for judging.