The Kitschies reward the year’s most progressive, intelligent and entertaining works that contain elements of the speculative or fantastic. Now in our sixth year, we are proud to be sponsored by Fallen London, the award-winning browser game of a dark and mysterious London, designed by Failbetter Games.
The Kitschies’ 2014 finalists were selected from 198 submissions, from over 40 publishers and imprints. Congratulations to all who made the shortlists, and thanks to everyone who submitted a title for consideration.
- Lagoon, by Nnedi Okorafor (Hodder & Stoughton)
- Grasshopper Jungle, by Andrew Smith (Egmont)
- The Peripheral, by William Gibson (Viking)
- The Way Inn, by Will Wiles (4th Estate)
- The Race, by Nina Allan (NewCon Press)
- Viper Wine, by Hermione Eyre (Jonathan Cape)
- The Girl in the Road, by Monica Byrne (Blackfriars)
- Memory of Water, by Emmi Itäranta (HarperCollins)
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, by Becky Chambers (Self-Published)
- The People in the Trees, by Hanya Yanagihara (Atlantic Books)
- The Ghost of the Mary Celeste, design by Steve Marking, lettering by Kimberly Glyder (Weidenfeld and Nicolson)
- A Man Lies Dreaming, cover by Ben Summers (Hodder and Stoughton)
- Through the Woods, cover by Emily Carroll and Sonja Chaghatzbanian (Faber and Faber)
- The Book of Strange New Things, cover by Rafaela Romaya and Yehring Tong (Canongate)
- Tigerman, cover by Glenn O’Neill (William Heinemann)
- echovirus12, created/curated by Jeff Noon @jeffnoon, Ed @3dgriffiths, James Knight @badbadpoet, violet sprite @gadgetgreen, Richard Biddle @littledeaths68, Mina Polen @polen, Uel Aramchek @ThePatanoiac, Graham Walsh @t_i_s_u, Vapour Vox @Wrong_Triangle
- Kentucky Route Zero, Act III, by Cardboard Computer
- 80 Days, by Inkle Studios
- Sailor’s Dream, by Simogo
Learn more about this year’s judging panels.
The Kitschies are a non-profit association with the mission of encouraging and elevating the tone of the discussion of genre literature in its many forms. As well as our annual tentacular prizes, we host and promote events. For more information, please see our events page, our Tumblr and our Facebook community.